The next Commando Conversations workshop is scheduled for November 4-6, 2016 in San Antonio, Texas. The event is open for registration for your entire team! (You must be a Veterinary Growth Partners member, but I’ll sponsor your first year of membership. Visit this page for more information.)
If you’d like to schedule Shawn to deliver this content to you and work with your team to become more conflict competent, please contact Cindy Oliphant via email or by phone at 888-759-7191.
To be informed of future events, sign up for our newsletter by clicking the “Sign Up Now” button on the right.
How often do you face conflict at work? If you dread it, you’re not alone! Bolster your confidence and learn how to deal gracefully with conflict and difficult conversations by attending this four-day intensive, interactive program. You will develop specific skills that allow you to productively manage conflict—one of the most critical leadership skills. You’ll take a comprehensive conflict-competence assessment, build new skills, and walk away with a personalized development plan.
What past attendees say about this workshop:
“I liked the broader perspective I obtained by hearing that other practices have similar conflicts and issues. We are not unique or isolated in the struggles at our practice.” –Trisha Metzger
“The one-on-one attention and feedback is priceless. You have given me the tools to immediately implement the ideas in our practice.” –Tamra Taylor
“Shawn is an excellent speaker. He is extremely knowledgeable about the topic. I also have take-home material to refer back to.” –Chasitie Hindenvan-Rogers
The curriculum is full of opportunities to build skills, such as self-awareness, expert observation of others’ behavior, and coaching. The class is highly interactive, including small-group exercises, time for reflection, and workshop-type skill building. And the social time is equally as stimulating, with a cocktail reception and an optional group dinner. After attending this program, you will have increased your value to the practice as a leader and improved your connections to team members who look to you for direction.
Highlights of what you’ll learn include:
- Why dealing with conflict productively makes good business sense
- How to create productive outcomes of conflict while reducing the likelihood of escalation or harm
- How conflict competence can transform you into a sensational leader
- Techniques for building skills in self-awareness, observing others’ behavior to prevent escalation of conflict, and creating a culture of conflict competence in your entire team
Your take-homes include:
- New skills that transform you into expert in managing conflict productively
- A customized report detailing your strengths and weaknesses when dealing with conflict and how you compare to others nationwide
- A personal development plan that will help you continue to build your conflict competence
Shawn uses his combined professional experience in business management and psychotherapy to help you take an honest look at your ability to handle conflict and uncover blind spots in your emotional-intelligence skills. You will share your greatest challenges and uncover the barriers that keep you from performing your best as a leader in difficult situations. You’ll build the foundation of a plan to continue to develop your emotional intelligence skills.
If we haven’t convinced you yet, here are just a few outcomes from this retreat:
- Personally, you’ll feel ready for any situation. At work and at home, the people around you will be amazed by your confidence, ease, and grace in handling difficult situations.
- You can teach your team to use conflict as a tool to foster creativity and innovation.
- You’ll be tossing around new ideas rather than doing the same ol’, same ol’.
- You’ll create a safe environment and common language to help your team members grow and learn how to be masters of conflict themselves.
- You will avoid the stress of closed communication, not sharing information, and quick decisions that lead to problems later on. Less stress means more fun!
The timing looks like this:
- Day 1: 4:30 PM to 7:30 PM
- Day 2: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Day 3: 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- 14 hours of continuing education credits
- Reception with cocktails and hors d’oeuvres
If you’re frustrated with your ability to handle conflict at work, rest easy knowing that you’ll leave with the skills you need to make it look like a piece of cake. This unique retreat is unlike any other continuing education event and is well suited for those in leadership positions, managers, and practice owners.
McVey Management Solutions
RACE provider number: 379
Maximum CE hours an individual can obtain: 14
This program was reviewed and approved by AAVSB RACE Standards as approved by the Board of Directors for 19 hours of continuing education. Participants should be aware that some boards have limitations on the number of hours accepted in certain categories and/or restrictions on certain methods of delivery of continuing education. Please contact the AAVSB RACE program if you have any comments/concerns regarding this program’s validity or relevancy to the veterinary profession. Participants should be aware that some boards have limitations on the number of hours accepted in certain categories and/or restrictions on certain methods of delivery of continuing education.